Mind, body & music!!



As technology advances we learn more about how outside influences affect our overall health and well being. The effect of music has been studied for many years and we now have just begun to realize how important music is to our life. 

I've met many people in my life that tell me, "man you sure do listen to a lot of music". It always puzzled me, I'd ask them if they listen to music and many of them said, "in the car yeah". WOW!!! Seriously, everywhere I go, everything in my life revolves around music. I listen to it from the moment I wake up until I go to bed. My ride to and from work is like a concert, I sing the entire time with the music blaring, uncaring of who is watching. We even have karaoke nights at our home, in fact when the kids were little we'd have music appreciation nights where we'd introduce them to music, of all genres, from the 50's to today's music. There is not a style of music I don't like. Somedays it's rock, then pop, then I'll dive into some blues or country, and don't forget some funk. I even like dubstep, k-pop, house music and classical. EVERYTHING, all of it has a place in my day and in my heart. 

I often say I could lose my arms, legs, sight and/or teeth but if I lost my hearing I'd rather be dead. I cannot imagine a single day without music. It is my best friend, my road dog, the love of my life. Co-workers from every job I've every held can attest to my random singing throughout the day, music is truly my life.

Having said all that I feel compelled to jot down some of the scientific data to explain why music should also be a huge part of your day as well, so here goes...

Alzheimers- Research suggests that listening to or singing songs can provide emotional and behavioral benefits for people with Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia. Musical memories are often preserved in Alzheimer's disease because key brain areas linked to musical memory are relatively undamaged by the disease.  

Stress reliever- A 2011 study by researchers from McGill University in Canada found that listening to music increases the amount of dopamine produced in the brain – a mood-enhancing chemical, making it a feasible treatment for depression. A study reported by MNT last month, for example, found that infants remained calmer for longer when they were played music rather than spoken to – even when speech involved baby talk.

Pain relief- Earlier this year, MNT reported on a study led by Brunel University in the UK that suggested music may reduce pain and anxiety for patients who have undergone surgery. By analyzing 72 randomized controlled trials involving more than 7,000 patients who received surgery, researchers found those who were played music after their procedure reported feeling less pain and anxiety than those who did not listen to music, and they were also less likely to need pain medication. This effect was even stronger for patients who got to choose the music they listened to. Talking to MNT, study leader Dr. Catharine Meads said: If music was a drug, it would be marketable. Music is a noninvasive, safe, cheap intervention that should be available to everyone undergoing surgery.” 

Stroke patients- A 2008 study conducted by researchers from the University of Helsinki in Finland found that stroke patients who listened to music for around 2 hours daily had better verbal memory and attention and a more positive mood than those who listened to an audio book or nothing at all. What is more, studies have shown that music may aid speech recovery following stroke. One study conducted in 2013 by researchers from Korea, for example, found that stroke patients who developed communication problems after stroke demonstrated improved language ability following 1 month of neurologic music therapy.

Elderly falls- Falling is a serious medical problem, particularly for people over 65; in fact, one of every three senior citizens suffers at least one fall during the course of a year. Can music help? A 2011 study says it can. The subjects were 134 men and women 65 and older who were at risk of falling but who were free of major neurologic and orthopedic problems that would limit walking. Half the volunteers were randomly assigned to a program that trained them to walk and perform various movements in time to music, while the other people continued their usual activities. At the end of six months, the "dancers" exhibited better gait and balance than their peers — and they also experienced 54% fewer falls. Similar programs of movement to music appear to improve the mobility of patients with Parkinson's disease.

Given all of the benefits mentioned above and the many more you can learn about it's a no-brainer, get in some music time everyday!! And don't get stuck in a particular time period or genre, listening to new things and learning the lyrics to new songs creates new neural pathways so keep listening, learning and expanding your brain and health! 


Comments