Getting old in relation to jeans....
So I am truly feeling old age creepin' into my bones and mind. I awake with pains in places I didn't know you could ache. I can't remember what I ate for dinner two nights ago but I can remember lyrics to a song I haven't heard in 10 years! Having said all that there is a part of me that loves getting older (hold your gasps until you hear me out).
I am nearing 40 now and I'm starting to realize that these are the best days of my life. Yes I have the mommy battle wounds (stretch marks, extra skin, widened hips, etc), yes I can't do some of the things that I could when I was younger, no I don't turn as many heads as I used to, yes I feel like the old hag at work because I am old enough to be mom to some of the people I work with HOWEVER I feel more comfortable in my own skin now than I ever have, saggy and scarred as it may be.
I look back on pictures of myself in my younger days...say my 20's when I was a looker (it's not bragging if it's true ha ha) and I am amazed that I didn't appreciate what I had. I remember thinking I was ugly and fat, keep in mind that I am 5'7" and weighed 125lbs...fat? I know...totally 20 year old thinking!
Now at 37 I am a few (ahem) pounds heavier and naturally I wish I looked like I did when I was 20 but I am okay with how I look and honestly think I am doing pretty darn good for having 3 kids and being close to 40! Yes of course there will be people who will say "well Cindy Crawford has kids and still looks great" yeah well good for her! I am a real woman who doesn't have hours of time to kill working out. I have a full time job, a business, I volunteer when I can, three kids to tend to and a hubby that I want to spend every waking moment with! Pardon me for not wanting to go to the gym.
I was lying awake in bed thinking to myself that getting older is kinda like that great pair of old jeans with the ripped up knees and tattered hems, that pair of jeans that fit you the best, the ones that someone will have to pry from your cold dead fingers before you will part with them. Ok stop laughing long enough to hear my analogy...
They're old, fit a little loose, could use some mending and don't look as good as they used to BUT you like them, they fit just right in your opinion and they make you feel good. What more could you want in life than to feel good!
I am nearing 40 now and I'm starting to realize that these are the best days of my life. Yes I have the mommy battle wounds (stretch marks, extra skin, widened hips, etc), yes I can't do some of the things that I could when I was younger, no I don't turn as many heads as I used to, yes I feel like the old hag at work because I am old enough to be mom to some of the people I work with HOWEVER I feel more comfortable in my own skin now than I ever have, saggy and scarred as it may be.
I look back on pictures of myself in my younger days...say my 20's when I was a looker (it's not bragging if it's true ha ha) and I am amazed that I didn't appreciate what I had. I remember thinking I was ugly and fat, keep in mind that I am 5'7" and weighed 125lbs...fat? I know...totally 20 year old thinking!
Now at 37 I am a few (ahem) pounds heavier and naturally I wish I looked like I did when I was 20 but I am okay with how I look and honestly think I am doing pretty darn good for having 3 kids and being close to 40! Yes of course there will be people who will say "well Cindy Crawford has kids and still looks great" yeah well good for her! I am a real woman who doesn't have hours of time to kill working out. I have a full time job, a business, I volunteer when I can, three kids to tend to and a hubby that I want to spend every waking moment with! Pardon me for not wanting to go to the gym.
I was lying awake in bed thinking to myself that getting older is kinda like that great pair of old jeans with the ripped up knees and tattered hems, that pair of jeans that fit you the best, the ones that someone will have to pry from your cold dead fingers before you will part with them. Ok stop laughing long enough to hear my analogy...
They're old, fit a little loose, could use some mending and don't look as good as they used to BUT you like them, they fit just right in your opinion and they make you feel good. What more could you want in life than to feel good!


Comments
Post a Comment