The beautiful sound of music...
So my big sweetie started her District Honor Jazz Band rehearsals last night. My knowledge of music is truly limited to the number of songs on my MP3 player so to watch a group of kids who were just given songs that they have never heard before and pick up and play them was astonishing to me.
I learned that Jazz music is quite different than what these kids have been taught in school. In fact is is almost the exact opposite of what they have been taught. Instead of hitting the upbeats 1 & 3, they hit the downbeats 2 & 4. If you understand that then you are doing better than me, I thought I was in some sort of foreign language class while listening him speak of upbeats, sticatas, swings, and other musical terminology that had my mind spinning reminding me of all the reasons I am so very proud of her.
She is starting her fourth year of band and I found out last night that most of the kids in this honor jazz band have been in it the year before. You see most kids start off in Jazz II and work up to Jazz I...not my girl she breezed straight through to Jazz I and nabbing first chair on her way! Yeah I know she totally kicks booty!
What I am getting to is how beautiful this group of kids sounded together on just their first practice. They had some rough spots to start but as the instructor worked with getting their counting down (like I said totally different than what they are used to) they managed to sound incredible. Music is so beautiful when it is played by talented individuals who come together and join their talents.
I now have a profound respect for everyone who can play an instrument. I have never been allowed to watch a rehearsal or class so I didn't realize what goes into making the music sound as good as it does. There is so much more involved behind the scenes than people realize. The fact that these kids can look at a piece of paper and then play together without having any instruction prior to playing is just insane to me, they are learing to sight read which is (as the instructor said) the difference between being able to play an instrument and being a musician. I walked away from that rehearsal with a respect for music, my daughters gift of music and a huge boast of pride that she has come as far as she has in such a short period of time.
I have always had a huge love for music so the fact that two of my children are in band now just thrills me and there is never a lack of music in the home. My youngest wants to join when he is old enough so I'm hoping that the music continues to flow as the years pass by. Hearing her play her horn and her eagerness to grow and challenge herself is just one of the things I admire about her. Who know's where her talent will take her but one thing is for sure I love watching/hearing her grow and can't wait for the endless concerts that this Jazz band will bring over the next several months.
I learned that Jazz music is quite different than what these kids have been taught in school. In fact is is almost the exact opposite of what they have been taught. Instead of hitting the upbeats 1 & 3, they hit the downbeats 2 & 4. If you understand that then you are doing better than me, I thought I was in some sort of foreign language class while listening him speak of upbeats, sticatas, swings, and other musical terminology that had my mind spinning reminding me of all the reasons I am so very proud of her.
She is starting her fourth year of band and I found out last night that most of the kids in this honor jazz band have been in it the year before. You see most kids start off in Jazz II and work up to Jazz I...not my girl she breezed straight through to Jazz I and nabbing first chair on her way! Yeah I know she totally kicks booty!
What I am getting to is how beautiful this group of kids sounded together on just their first practice. They had some rough spots to start but as the instructor worked with getting their counting down (like I said totally different than what they are used to) they managed to sound incredible. Music is so beautiful when it is played by talented individuals who come together and join their talents.
I now have a profound respect for everyone who can play an instrument. I have never been allowed to watch a rehearsal or class so I didn't realize what goes into making the music sound as good as it does. There is so much more involved behind the scenes than people realize. The fact that these kids can look at a piece of paper and then play together without having any instruction prior to playing is just insane to me, they are learing to sight read which is (as the instructor said) the difference between being able to play an instrument and being a musician. I walked away from that rehearsal with a respect for music, my daughters gift of music and a huge boast of pride that she has come as far as she has in such a short period of time.
I have always had a huge love for music so the fact that two of my children are in band now just thrills me and there is never a lack of music in the home. My youngest wants to join when he is old enough so I'm hoping that the music continues to flow as the years pass by. Hearing her play her horn and her eagerness to grow and challenge herself is just one of the things I admire about her. Who know's where her talent will take her but one thing is for sure I love watching/hearing her grow and can't wait for the endless concerts that this Jazz band will bring over the next several months.


Comments
Post a Comment