The Importance of Space
I grow a little more everyday now that my children are adults. Sometimes their insight makes me rethink my own opinions on things. A conversation last night with my oldest gave me another moment of growth. She has been remodeling her bedroom and it has taken much longer than she anticipated so it has left her feeling out of sorts, unsettled.
She is such a strong woman I didn't realize how much this process has affected her until last night. She felt silly for complaining how she was feeling but you see having a space that is all your own is invaluable and absolutely necessary for most people.
I've always raised my children to use their voice, to speak out when they feel wronged, etc. I didn't have that kind of upbringing so now I see how different children turn out when they are given freedom to express their feelings and opinions.
It wasn't until a few years ago that I found my voice which in turn has caused friction in many relationships now that I speak up for myself more. People get used to speaking to you in a certain way or making you feel like your opinion doesn't matter. I no longer stand for that, I now tell myself as I told my daughter, you are your own true north, listen to that internal compass that guides you through life. Fight for what matters to you, never dismiss your feelings and don't allow someone to downplay them.
"Say it again for the people in the back"
It is not selfish to need a space that is all your own. It is vital to speak up when it's time to enjoy that space when your soul needs it.
Have a beautiful day everyone.



Comments
Post a Comment